Life.  Some see it as a randomly assigned smattering of days with no purpose.  Others believe in divine appointments they rarely keep.  For most, everyday...is ordinary.  But it doesn't have to be.   What if we dared to go the narrow way? Join me in taking THE FAITH DARE.

Caution: Participating in this challenge might force you to give up some of the things (people?) dearest to you. This challenge could change your life.  Join at your own risk.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

FAITHdare #11: Storytelling

Personal stories are powerful. They are the tie that binds then and now, the link that explains the in-between. Because they are personal, they cannot be refuted. No one can say, "I don't agree with what you said; that didn't happen!" A testimony tries to explain what often cannot be said with words alone.

And everyone has one. I used to think my story was boring, that surely no one would care to hear what Jesus has done in my life. Now I can look back and see the way in which God has refined me and woven the gold thread of His hand through my life. Everyone has a story. For some, a story means near-death adventure. For others, a story is more what would have been than what is. Everyone has a story.

What's yours?

1 Peter 3:15-16 says: "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."

Always be prepared to give an answer. Are you ready? Being ready obviously involves a whole lot more than a personal story, but don't you think that's a good place to start?

FAITHdare # 11:
Write out your testimony by answering this question:
How has Jesus changed your life?

Keep it somewhat short, full of gentleness and respect. Are you ready to share it?

2 comments:

  1. I have been remiss in commenting, but I have been reading and following! I just have to tell you quickly that God used what you wrote this week in a unique and really cool way.

    I had started reading through Platt's book and was convicted that I needed to be more intentional on a daily basis about sharing Christ with people who don't know Him.

    Due to some health issues, I am limited mostly to e-mail, but that doesn't limit God! So I decided to write someone I don't know (I had exchanged one e-mail with them about my health condition) about Jesus. And I am ashamed to admit that even though it was only e-mail, I was really nervous.

    Things were a little tense in the first couple of replies. And I was contemplating not writing back. But I decided if I didn't it would only be because I was afraid, and that certainly isn't Spirit-led! So today, I thought about what you had said about testimonies, and that is how I decided to open the e-mail--with my testimony, which was able to tie in with what we were talking about. And wouldn't you know it, that turned things right around. The reply from the receiver wasn't tense. I know I wouldn't have thought of sharing my testimony unless I had read your post, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lying, lust, coveting, hating, pride, cursing, religion, works, blasphemy, evil thoughts, dirty thoughts, dishonoring my mom, pure hatred of God, loving myself more than anything else, putting me first, I am the wretch the song talks about.
    This just describes a fraction of how Jesus has changed my life.
    When I saw that God is perfect in every way, that He demands perfection, that He could not look upon me because I was cover in sin, I could not be in His presence, I was in trouble. Oh how I deserve Hell! I had sinned against a Holy and Righteous God, a God that had given me life for 24 years, and I just shook my fist at Him. I thought being a catholic would get me out of hell, but it was just another religion, just more works that would spit into Gods face.
    That is when Jesus and the Cross, came alive. I never knew about repentance. I never knew that all I needed to do was to repent and to put my faith and trust in the Lord. A legal transaction took place that day on Calvary, I was guilty of my sins, I needed to pay for that, but Jesus stepped in took upon Him all of my sins and He died on the cross, like that I don't have to. Jesus was the payment that had to be made for my sins and yours. Oh the love of Christ for us!
    I know you asked to keep it short, but I can't, He saved! I am redeemed through the blood of Christ! I've been set free through HIM! And as I tell this story and tears run down my face, I praise the God of this world, for I do not understand His grace and Mercy that reached out to this wretch, but I am so grateful that He found grace to look unto me.
    Gal.2:20

    ReplyDelete